Two small man-made lakes adjacent to State Highway 2, 8km north-east of Upper Hutt and 1.5km north-east of Te Marua. Used to store water to supplement drinking water supply to greater Wellington. Feature shown: NZTopo50-BP33 802495 and NZTopo50-BP33 806498.
Distance from nearest road
Named for Stuart Alisdair Macaskill (1931-2012) in recognition of his significant contribution to establishing this water supply feature for metropolitan Wellington. He played an instrumental political role in the creation of the lakes from 1974 through to their completion in the late 1980s. He had a keen interest in civil engineering projects and lived most of his life in nearby Akatarawa Valley. He was highly regarded by Regional Council staff, being on the Board from 1980 until his retirement in 2001, becoming Chair from 1986. He enjoyed many other achievements in local body and community affairs, including long time association with Upper Hutt and Heretaunga Rotary Clubs.
NZTM2000: 1780354, 5449627
Photos of this place
No photos have been uploaded.